Thursday 3 July 2014

[Discussion] - Fallen Revealed Cast!

Now, I supposed I'm quite late on this one.

'Fallen' was one of the very first YA fantasy books I had ever read, and I fell instantly in love with it. I also, as the years went by, fell out of touch with it. I'm afraid I believe I've only read the first two books, and I honestly can't remember what happened. I plan to re-read them as soon as possible.



When I first found out they were planning a film of this a few weeks back, my love was rekindled. I couldn't believe it. And this morning, I saw a post on Goodreads which said there had been casting decisions.

So, naturally, I headed over to Lauren Kate's website to see for myself.

And, well... I'm not happy.

First off, I've never heard of any of the actors, which doesn't worry me. So long as they can act, it doesn't matter to be if they're well known or not. So I'm praying that when we eventually get to see something, it will show them in a good light and that their portrayal of the characters are good.

But the worst thing? They look nothing like how I imagined when reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the exact same problem with TFiOS. Whereas I was pleased with the appearance of Hazel, and Gus was mediocre but in my opinion could have nicer hair, I was completely taken a-back by Isaac. I didn't know how to imagine him in my head, so it just sort of felt really weird to see him in the trailer (I have yet to see the full film).

(Except Daniel. I'm impressed with Daniel. I am okay with his casting.) Let's just recap, shall we, on who they are:

 Lola Kirke as Penn                  Sianoa Smit-McPhee as Molly       Daisy Head as Arianne
Kirke, Lola         Sianoa Smit-McPhee HEADSHOT 2           

Hermione Corfield as Gabbe           Malachi Kirby as Roland       Chris Ashby as Todd
               

Addison Timlin as Lucinda                Jeremy Irvine as Daniel           Harrison Gilbertson as Cam
ADDISON TIMLIN                    

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a problem with Lucinda. It's the hair. It's just not black! Of course, and I am severely hoping they do, they can die it/put a believable wig on her. I really, really, hope so, because I'm afraid I won't be able to watch it- 'cos if her hair isn't black, they won't be able to do the bathroom hair dye scene with Arianne!

I'm shocked that most of the cast seem to British. Literally every single person, with the odd Australian thrown in. Why is that? Does this mean the film has a British director/casting director?

Hmmmm... I could get behind this.

I'd like to talk about some of them individually for a moment, I think. Now, as I said, it's been a long while since I read the books, so don't quote me on anything, and my accuracy is something that should not be relied upon. I'd say my memory is about 45% correct on average.

Penn:
Wasn't she described as plump? It's what 45% of me remembers... I feel as though, looking purely at this head shot, that this actress is too thin for the way she is described. But then again, a head shot does not accurately portray body type. I should probably look her up.

I don't remember who Molly is. Was she mean? I think she was mean...

Arianne:
At first I was like, 'noooooo.' But then I looked up a couple more pictures of her, and- and, yeah, yeah, I can get behind Daisy.

Gabbe:
Gabbe was mean, I believe, like 45% of the way. But she's got this Gabbe look about her, Hermione has, and I am pleased to say I like her casting.

Roland and Todd remain mysteries to me currently.

Lucinda:
Oh, Lucinda, I've already whined about your hair. You're also not as pale as I would have liked, because I believe the impact of your appearance shall be slightly more dull without it. But as as far as the casting of protagonists goes, you will do. (Like, remember the announcement of Ben Afflick as Batman? That brewed up a storm! Not that he doesn't make a rather fetching Bruce Wayne, or anything...)

Daniel:
Just give him a leather jacket, a cigarette and some punk rock boots, and we can be off. I literally do not have any qualms with him. So long as he does not have the cockney accent from War Horse. I mean, it's a cute accent and all, but I think Daniel is a role that's too serious for that voice.

Cam:
I can't quite remember 45% of him. But I have the general gist of his personality. With longer hair, I believe he shall be all right. Though he does look strikingly similar to Daniel... I hope that changes.

I do believe I have no exhausted the Fallen topic! Phew. Now I can get back to reading the HP series all over again...

I've also added the whole Fallen series to my 'To Read' list...

What are your thoughts on the casting? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment